Primary Librarian, Grades 3-5
São Paulo, Brazil
Begin by thinking Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Beijing, Avenues London, Avenues Doha.
Think of Avenues as one international school with multiple interconnected campuses.
It will not be a collection of schools all pursuing different educational strategies, but rather one highly integrated learning community, connected and supported by a common vision, a shared education design and curriculum, world-class technology and a talented headquarters team in New York City. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship in the twenty-first century, with an approach that combines language immersion, interdisciplinary teaching, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
The Primary Librarian provides expert instruction and programming to expose students and faculty to a wide range of literature and media resources, and develops and grows the library’s collection with notable and award-winning books and digital resources.
The Avenues library program provides students, faculty, and community with an extensive array of carefully selected books and digital resources, services, and instruction to support learning and inquiry at Avenues and beyond.
The program equips students with 21st century literacy skills, and empowers students to be critical thinkers and ethical users of information in a global world.
The Avenues library program exposes our community to a wide range of literature, representing a diversity of cultures, viewpoints, and ideas, and advances the Avenues mission by preparing globally minded students, who are independent life-long learners.
The Librarian’s primary areas of responsibility include:
Programming and Services:
- Provide expert instruction supporting the school’s global mission, guided by Avenues Library’s Information Literacy Scope and Sequence
- Create varied learning resources and experiences to support students, faculty, and staff
- Provide ongoing professional learning on library media resources and services to teachers and staff
- Carefully selects materials adhering to the criteria and guidelines established by the American Library Association
- Identifies current and emerging information resources, both print and digital, to support and enhance library instruction and information literacy
Candidates should have most, if not all, of the following:
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in librarianship, preferably in a school, from a program accredited by the American Library Association (or from an equivalent and accredited master’s-level program in another country)
- Experience in teaching primary grade students strongly preferred
- Strong command of 21st century library and information skills, i.e. Integrated Library System management, academic databases, websites, literacy apps, etc.
- Deep knowledge of children’s literature and media technology skills
- Proactive and effective in building relationships with students and faculty
- Effective and dynamic educator. Engages students in purposeful work, exposing students to a wide array of literature and information
- Proactive with regards to trends in the profession and taking advantage of professional development opportunities
Please read first about Avenues: The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: www.avenues.org/sp.
Apply through the Careers section of our website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues São Paulo would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.